Transportation Station!

Wow! I am so sorry I have been on hiatus from making a real blog post! I have really been into making clip art, so I haven't had the time to make some actual posts.

We are in Unit 5 of Reading Street, which means that we are talking about transportation A LOT. Now, I felt like there was only a certain number of ways that we could talk about and teach transportation. I had to really spend some time coming up with some creative ways to teach this stuff (As you can tell, I was not a fan of this unit in the beginning).

After some long thinking, I thought I might try to come up with some materials that were based off of a book about transportation. Then, a light went off, and I thought...DUH! Hello, Lauren! Why not create some material to be used with Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems. After all, Mo Willems is a favorite in my class. The kiddos are OBSESSED with the Pigeon!

I mean...who wouldn't LOVE this guy?!
So, we read the story, and then we talked about what other types of transportation we would not let the pigeon drive. I had a hilarious conversation with my kinders, and they were really beginning to think about how the story would be different if we didn't let the pigeon drive a plane. This led to some GREAT discussion!

Then, we did a craftivity where the kinders colored their pigeon, and then they put him in a different form of transportation. The pictures turned out AWESOME! However, I did not expect all the speech bubbles. What was originally a social studies lesson, turned into a writing activity! They loved adding their own speech bubbles to their pigeon! I loved the way they turned out!



You can purchase this craftivity as a part of my transportation pack here.

We are also hard at work with subtraction. I decided to continue the transportation theme by having the students do a "Dump Truck Subtraction" craftivity. The students began by cutting out and gluing the dump truck onto the construction paper. Then, they cut out their 10 rocks and placed them in their dump truck. I then had them dump (or subtract) some of the rocks onto the ground. Next, they glued their rocks down and completed the story problem. 

Did you notice how the pigeon made another appearance? Haha! The pigeon made quite an impression!

You can purchase this craftivity as a part of my transportation pack here.

The week ended with two sweet students bringing me flowers for Easter! I am hoping to create a "Kinder Garden" at my house! I want it to be a garden full of the flowers my kinders bring me. I tend to kill plants when they are kept inside, so I am hoping this helps my ability to keep plants alive. :)

Happy Easter!

He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.
- Luke 24:6-7

No comments :

Post a Comment